Sunday 1 March 2009

On (not so new) cameras

Last September I wrote about my intention to upgrade to the Canon EOS50D (On Technology versus art). Four months later (was it really that long!?) I found myself going back on that decision. The 50D is a fine camera - of that there is little doubt; but the more I read the less convinced I was that it would address the main shortcomings I perceived with my existing setup (the EOS 20D).

The clincher was finding a second-hand EOS 1D Mark IIN in my local camera shop. I had read a lot about this body too - but once I tried it out I was hooked. It has the same pixel count as my 20D - but in almost every other respect it is better. Fast, reliable auto-focus and its impressive shooting speed were the main draw for me. Having made my mind up and bought it I have also been impressed with the colour rendition and the auto-white balance. On the downside it is bulkier and considerably heavier, but on the whole I am happy that this (now elderly) machine is a significant improvement on my existing camera. Now all I need to do is stick to my plan for the year and get out to take photos more often!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Thanks for you visit on my blog. It made me discover yours which is fantastic. I'll continue my visit. This swan picture is wonderful. A nice flight action with a perfect sharpness and white balance..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, the best camera is always the one you're most comfortable working with. Sounds like you've found a good match.



    Nice image of the running coot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing the types of photos you capture with your new camera. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the 1 Series works in comparison to your 20D in taking wildlife pictures.

    I like your photo of the mute swan landing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good captured of Swan landing.

    Congratulation on your "new" 1D Mark IIN, sure a very good pro body.
    I own 50D for about 3 months now, and very happy with it. Upgraded from 400D, (off course I will choose 1D body if I found good used unit).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to comment on my blog!